THIS COURSE IS ACCREDITED BY TEQSA AND THE 3-6 YEARS CURRICULUM FOCUS IS RECOGNISED BY ACECQA AS AN EARLY CHILDHOOD TEACHER QUALIFICATION.
The Montessori Institute offers the ONLY accredited and ACECQA recognised Post Graduate Montessori qualification in Australia. Applicants who have successfully completed a Bachelor Degree from a University (in a relevant discipline) may apply for a place in the Graduate Diploma of Education (Montessori). The course will qualify you as a Montessori and mainstream teacher.*
The Graduate Diploma of Education (Montessori) is a 9 module, 14 unit course that offers students blended face to face and external study and upon satisfactory completion, qualification as a teacher. Students choose a curriculum focus in one of the following age groups:
- Montessori Curriculum 3-6 years (Early childhood 0-8 years)
- Montessori Curriculum 6-12 years (Primary 5-12 years)
Attendance at twenty one days of face-to-face workshop sessions are necessary to complete the qualification, these support specific curriculum units. Twelve weeks of teaching practice are required, two of which are in a mainstream classroom. One written and one practical exam are compulsory elements.
THE COURSE COVERS:
- Educational and Montessori theories and philosophies (2 modules)
- Child development, environments, role of the teacher and families
- Study of curriculum theory and teaching practice, learning and assessment
- Inclusive education, action research and field experience block
Approximate study times for the Graduate Diploma of Education (Montessori) are:
- Educational Theories, Philosophy and Child Development 360 hrs
- Curriculum workshops, assignments and examinations 660 hrs
- Practice teaching experiences 420 hrs ( 12 weeks, 60 days)
- Additional Independent Study Time approx 600 hrs nominal
- Total 2040 hrs nominal
The minimum time frame is 2 years full time, however you may take up to 4 years part time to complete the course.
Enrolment and Module GDTM501 $4800*
Modules GDTM502, GDTM504 & GDTM506 $495 each module
Module GDCM503 $990
Module GDCM505 & GDCM507 $1320 each module
Module GDCM508 & GDRM509 $ 1485 each module
*Enrolment fees are paid in full or payment plan available for Enrolment and Introductory Module GTM501 only-$2400 deposit and 3 payments of $850 ($4950). All subsequent modules to be paid in full. Workshop fees and professional practice included in the Module fees.
One written and one practical exam fee of $210* per exam, payable at the time of sitting.
*All fees subject to annual increment.
*Teacher Registration: All information is given in good faith. Applicants are advised to check their State’s teacher registration body for confirmation. Montessori Institute graduates register with the State body; or register with the Teacher Registration Board W.A. and then apply under the Mutual Recognition Act 1992 for registration in heir own State.
Please be advised that from 1 July 2016, it is the national policy that all initial teacher education students will be expected to sit and pass the national Literacy and Numeracy Test prior to completing their course. The test will be used as the means to demonstrate that students completing initial teacher education courses are in the top 30 per cent of the Australian adult population for personal literacy and numeracy. Students will need to provide evidence to the Institute of successful completion prior to sitting the exams and graduating from the course.
For further information, visit teacheredtest.acer.edu.au
Selection to the program is dependent upon formal assessment of the following:
- Relevant Bachelor Degree or level above is compulsory (International Degrees must be assessed by the Overseas Qualifications Unit as equivalent to an Australian Degree)
- Response to Interview Questions (see Application Form)
- If qualifications are from outside of Australia, they will need to be assessed by the Overseas Qualification Unit as equal to an Australian Bachelor degree. If your qualification was not completed in English and English is a second language, applicants are required to undertake a Language test (see IELTS below):
The Academic IELTS (International English Language Testing Score) is a proven and accepted entry requirement. It is recognised world wide as a secure, valid and reliable indicator of true-to-life ability to communicate in English for education, immigration and professional accreditation. Applicants can apply on-line and there are many test centres around Australia.
There is no pass or fail in IELTS. Candidates are graded on their performance, using scores from 1 to 9 for each part of the test – Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking. The results from the four parts then produce an Overall Band Score.
Applicants for the Graduate Diploma of Education (Montessori) course, who have an overseas qualification, require an overall score of Band 7 with Band 8 in speaking and listening, as a prerequisite for enrolment.