THIS COURSE IS AITSL LISTED FOR TEACHER REGISTRATION, ACCREDITED BY TEQSA AND THE 3-6 YEARS CURRICULUM FOCUS IS RECOGNISED BY ACECQA AS AN EARLY CHILDHOOD TEACHER (ECT) QUALIFICATION.
Becoming a Montessori teacher is to prepare for the task of aiding children’s development for life. Montessori teachers love their work. Whether you’re beginning your first career or looking for more inspiration in your current field, the first step is to think carefully about what drives you and gives you satisfaction. We are far more likely to be successful in an occupation we feel passionate about.
“The training of the teacher who is to help life is something far more than the learning of ideas. It includes the training of character; it is a preparation of the spirit.” ~ Maria Montessori
The Montessori Institute offers the ONLY accredited, AITSL listed and ACECQA recognised Post Graduate Montessori qualification in Australia. Applicants who have successfully completed a Bachelor Degree from a University (in a relevant discipline) may apply for a place in the Graduate Diploma of Education (Montessori). The course will qualify you for registration as teacher in Australia.*
The Graduate Diploma of Education (Montessori) is a 9 module, 14 unit course that offers students blended face to face and external study and upon satisfactory completion, qualification as a teacher. Students choose a curriculum focus in one of the following age groups:
- Montessori Curriculum 3-6 years (Early Childhood 0-8 years)
- Montessori Curriculum 6-12 years (Primary 5-12 years)
Attendance at twenty one days of face-to-face workshop sessions are necessary to complete the qualification, these support specific curriculum units. Twelve weeks of professional experience are required, two of which are in a mainstream classroom. One written and one practical exam are compulsory elements after completion of all modules.
*Teacher Registration: All information is given in good faith. Applicants are advised to check their State’s teacher registration body for confirmation and our listing on the AITSL website. Montessori Institute graduates register with the State body; or register with the Teacher Registration Board W.A. and then apply under the Mutual Recognition Act 1992 for registration in their own State.
THE COURSE COVERS:
- Educational and Montessori theories and philosophies (2 modules)
- Child development, environments, role of the teacher and families (2 modules)
- Study of curriculum theory and teaching practice, learning and assessment (4 modules)
- Inclusive education and field experience (1 module)
Approximate study times for the Graduate Diploma of Education (Montessori) are:
- Educational Theories, Philosophy and Child Development 360 hrs
- Curriculum workshops, assignments and examinations 660 hrs
- Professional experiences 420 hrs ( 12 weeks, 60 days)
- Additional Independent Study Time approx 600 hrs nominal
- Total 2040 hrs nominal
The minimum time frame is 2 years full time, however you may take up to 4 years part time to complete the course.
Students may enrol in this course at any time of the year. Application to the program is through direct application to the Institute and is dependent upon formal assessment of the following:
- Discipline-specific bachelor degree, with at least one year of full-time equivalent study relevant to one or more learning areas of the Australian Curriculum or other recognised areas of schooling provision.
- Response to Interview Questions (see Application Form below)
- If qualifications are from outside of Australia, they will need to be assessed by the Overseas Qualification Unit as equal to an Australian Bachelor degree.
- Applicants for the Graduate Diploma of Education (Montessori) course, who have an overseas qualification from a country other than Australia, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, the United States of America, Canada or the Republic of Ireland, must provide evidence of recent completion (within two years) of an Academic IELTS test-see below.
The Academic IELTS (International English Language Testing System) is a proven and accepted entry requirement. It is recognised world wide as a secure, valid and reliable indicator of true-to-life ability to communicate in English for education, immigration and professional accreditation. Applicants can apply on-line and there are many test centres around Australia.
There is no pass or fail in IELTS. Candidates are graded on their performance, using scores from 1 to 9 for each part of the test – Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking. The results from the four parts then produce an Overall Band Score. The requirement for the Graduate Diploma of Education (Montessori) is an overall band score of Band 7.5 with no score below 7 in any of the four skills and Band 8 in speaking and listening.
NATIONAL LITERACY AND NUMERACY TEST:
Please be advised that from 1 July 2016, it is the national policy that all initial teacher education students will be expected to sit and pass the national Literacy and Numeracy Test prior to completing their course. The test will be used as the means to demonstrate that students completing initial teacher education courses are in the top 30 per cent of the Australian adult population for personal literacy and numeracy. Students will need to provide evidence to the Institute of successful completion prior to sitting the exams and graduating from the course.
For further information and practice questions, visit teacheredtest.acer.edu.au
Enrolment and Module GDTM501 $4995*
Modules GDTM502, GDTM504 & GDTM506 $585 each module
Module GDCM503 $1420
Module GDCM505 & GDCM507 $1810 each module
Module GDCM508 $1755
Module GDRM509 $1785
One written and one practical exam fee of $220* per exam, payable at the time of sitting.
*Enrolment fees are paid in full or payment plan available for Enrolment and Introductory Module GDTM501 only-$2500 deposit and 3 payments of $890 ($5170). All subsequent modules to be paid in full. Workshop fees and professional practice included in the Module fees.
*All fees subject to annual increment.
HOW TO APPLY
- Read the above information carefully and click on the link ‘application form’ (below).
- Complete the interview questions attached to the application form.
- Email your application form and interview responses to email@example.com
- Post certified copies of all your qualifications (Certificate and official transcripts) to 3/20 Comserv Loop, Ellenbrook, W.A. 6069
- You will be notified of the success of your application, please allow 3 weeks for processing.